Sunday, March 31, 2013

Student of the year?? Really?


The movie released last year with great pomp and show among the school and college going kids. I was never never looking forward to watching this flick and I did not watch it, until yesterday. I have a strong reason for that: I am sick for the past 5 days and am not allowed out of my room. Alas, I had watched all the movies available with me but this. So I sat down for it.

Honestly, I found the the manner of unfolding of the story very uninteresting. It is very cliche. This style: friends gathered together and discussing the the protagonists of the story, has been seen in familiar movies of the 90's like Chalte Chalte and even in the Imran Khan's debut movie, Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane na, which for some reason I found tolerable. Karan Johan anyway has been known for heightening the levels of cliche.
The story was again a mirror image of Kuch Kuch Hota hai with gender changes. 

Now, since I had missed the movie and everyone else had already watched and repented, I thought there was no issue of lack of info on my part. But in some time, I witnessed a sudden change in fashion and the student behaviour. Girls wouldn't give their red lip paints a miss even for a day and guys would really leap for attention and popularity like never before.

The speech which Sudo delivers at the end to the school principle, Yogi, is co-incidentally similar to what I want to say to Karan Johar for directing such movies. He too is single and probably has a dream of living his characters in real life. This movie which has made brands like Prada and Armani sound like Globus and Pantaloons has reduced fashion to be just for a class of society. . What about a common man's daughter/son who cannot manage to get attention from the opposite sex? What if he/she are not perfect at dance but master the art of painting or origami or magic? It reflects that the student of the year trophy is deserved by someone who is  extraordinarily popular, a fashionista at the least and must have minimum of two people of the opposite genders fighting for them. Not a bit of my life there! So I did not find it anywhere close to reality.
Jane Tu... Ya Jaane na was still partially inclined towards reality. But SOTY was plain OMG and totally in your face.
Today's youth is ready for the coming of age cinema like Shaitaan and A separation. In what world anyway, have schools ever been like that? At least I would love to see one. Or not.
So K.J., it is a humble request of mine: Stop playing on the school kids. Spare them Please!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment